Sunshine and we are feeling fine here at the Combsberry Inn! There’s just something about those first few warm days of the year that have us buzzing with excitement and exuding seemingly endless amounts of energy. Needless to say we have been busy, busy bees the past few days, buzzing around the Inn in preparation for spring. Baking is a pastime we enjoy all year-long, but each season brings a new wave of flavors and inspiration. The summer-like temperatures these past few days left us craving one of our favorite warm weather treats – Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Cake! We couldn’t resist pinning this delicious treat from Culinary Hill on our Favorite Recipes from the Inn board on Pinterest. It’s a simple recipe that is teeming with spring flavors and maintaining the perfect touch of sweetness. Let’s take a look:
Here’s What You’ll Need:
1 1/2 cups of flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup canola oil
6 ounces of fresh blueberries (or 1 cup of frozen)
The Path to Deliciousness:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Move your oven rack to the middle position and coat your loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray OR line the pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking power, and salt. Set aside for now.
- Time for the sweet stuff! In a large bowl, mix sugar, yogurt, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Add your dry ingredients next but do so in three batches, whisking after each addition. Carefully fold in the canola oil until uniformly combined.
- Fold in the blueberries! We can’t explain it but this is always our favorite part.
- Your batter is ready to bake! Pour it into the prepared loaf pan and bake for one hour or until you can insert a toothpick and pull it out clean. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for ten minutes.
- Have a wire rack ready and a sharp knife. Use the knife to carefully loosen the cake by slicing around the inside of the loaf pan. Once loose, the cake should easily slide out on to the wire rack.
- Cool the cake completely before serving and enjoy!
Mmmm, by now your mouth is probably watering! Ours sure were when we first stumbled upon this delicious recipe at culinaryhill.com. Bake up a batch and send us your pictures of the finished product! Or visit us at the Inn and enjoy a slice on our back lawn while enjoying one of our renowned Eastern Shore sunsets. Spring has almost sprung friends, enjoy every minute!
P.S. Don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest for more of these delicious recipes from the Inn!